1030 Student Member of the Governing Board
Membership: There shall be, within the membership of the Governing Board, a student member who is a resident of California. The student member shall be enrolled at the College and shall be chosen and shall be recalled by the students in conformance with procedures prescribed by the Board. The student member shall, throughout his/her term, be enrolled in at least five (5) semester units, or their equivalent and shall meet and maintain the minimum standard of scholarship for students. The role of the student member is to represent and act in the best interests of the whole district. This breath of responsibility is in contrast with the student senate who represents students in shared governance.
Term of Office: Term of office shall be one (1) year commencing at the June Board Meeting.
Vacancy Procedures: In the event of a vacancy, the Governing Board shall call for a special election should such vacancy occur prior to June 1.
Recall: The student member shall be subject to recall upon presentation of a petition signed by the students of the District equal in number to at least 20 percent of the enrolled students at the time of filing the petition for verification of signatures.
Duties: The student member shall be:
(1) Seated with members of the Governing Board and shall be recognized as a member at the meetings, including receiving all materials presented to Board members in open session and participating in questioning of witnesses and the discussion of issues.
(2) Allowed to second motions. As authorized by statute, any decision or actions, including contracts entered into upon the second of a motion by the student member, shall be fully legal and enforceable.
(3) Allowed to attend closed sessions, other than closed sessions on personnel matters or collective bargaining matters, at the discretion of the Board.
- Entitled to the mileage allowance, travel expenses, compensation for attendance at meetings of the Governing Board, as authorized for regular Board members in Policy 1100, Meeting Attendance.
- Entitled to an advisory vote in open session. Such vote, however, shall not be included in determining the vote required to carry any measure.
- Not liable for any acts of the Governing Board.
Election Procedures: Election of student members shall be carried out by the Superintendent/President or designee and shall occur not less than fourteen (14), nor more than sixty (60) days prior to the term of office. In the event of a tie vote, the winner shall be determined by lottery.
Annual Implementation: These rules and regulations shall be effective May 15 of each year unless changed by appropriate action of the Governing Board.
Reference: Education Code 72023.5
(Formerly Governing Board Policy 1230; adopted 4-20-82)
Adopted: Revised and renumbered 10-1-85
Revised and Adopted: 5-7-91, 11-3-92, 4-6-98, 3-6-01; 7-1-08; 1-13-09