Hartnell College Emergency Information: Hazardous Material Release
Hartnell Emergency Information
Hazardous Material Release
What to do in case of Hazardous Material Release
- Safeguard lives and isolate materials if safe to do so.
- Notify 8-9-1-1 from campus phones or 9-1-1 or 831-758-7321 from cell phones
- Minimize property damage
Determine need to EVACUATE building
- Alert others in building - activate alarm
- Evacuate immediately. Assist persons with disabilities or injuries
- Close doors leading into the building to isolate release
- Move and stay upwind, up slope, upstream, at least 300 free from building (to evacuation staging areas if safe)
- Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency equipment
Notify 8-9-1-1 from campus phone or 9-1-1- or 831-758-7321 from cellular phones
- Exact location of spill, including room number if inside a building
- Name of spilled material
- Appearance - solid, liquid, odor, color, etc.
- Injuries or physical effects to those who have been exposed
- Whether any victims are trapped within the isolated area
- Area of contamination
- Your name, department, and the phone extension you are calling from.
If hazardous material is on a, person remove any excess material:
- Hazardous materials in eye: brush away any dry materials, then hold the eye open and flush with water at least 15 minutes
- Hazardous materials on skin: remove contaminated clothing, brush away any dry materials and flush area with water in a safety shower for at least 15 minutes
Seek medical attention immediately!
Do not return to the evacuated area until the area is declared safe by uniformed or other trained authorized personnel.