Hartnell College Emergency Information: Shooting/Armed Intruder or Sniper
Hartnell Emergency Information
Shooting/Armed Intruder or Sniper
What to do in case of Shooting/Armed Intruder or Sniper
- Call 9-1-1 or 8-9-1-1 if calling from a campus telephone
- Lock and/or barricade doors to prevent shooter from entering room
- Turn off lights
- Close blinds
- Block windows
- Turn off radios and dim computer screens
- Keep calm, quiet, and out of sight
- To protect yourself from gunfire, take cover behind thick desks, along concrete walls, or against filing cabinets.
- Silence cell phones.
- If injured, place signs in exterior windows.
- Leaving a secured area:
- Consider risks before leaving.
- Remember, the shooter is looking for 'targets of opportunity' and generally will need to be stopped by an outside force.
- Do not evacuate rooms or buildings unless told to do so by Building Monitor or police officer, or unless it is absolutely clear and safe to do so.
- Rescue attempts should only be tried if they can be accomplished without endangering lives. When in doubt, shelter in place and wait for instructions from emergency personnel.
- Call 9-1-1 or 8-9-1-1 from campus phones. Do not hang up on the dispatcher until told to do so. Provide the following information:
- Clearly state there has been a shooting or someone has been shot.
- The exact location of the suspect(s) including building, type of building, number of exits, room/office number, front or side window, roof, office, classroom, etc.
- Number of shots fired by the suspect(s), if the suspect(s) is still shooting, and type of weapon(s) (rifle, shotgun, handgun, etc.) or explosive device(s).
- Description of suspect(s), their clothing, vehicle used, and direction of travel.
- Condition and number of hostages, and number of known injured or killed.
- Any demands or information supplied by suspect(s).