> Home > Financial_aid > BOGW

How to Apply for Financial Aid (FAFSA)

The Board of Governors of the California Community College system offers a fee waiver program for low-income residents of California that are attending a community college.

The Board of Governors Enrollment Fee Waiver (BOGW) waives the enrollment fees charged for an eligible student. It also reduces the cost of College parking permits, and the College’s Student Services Activities Fee.

To qualify for a BOGW fee waiver, you need to:
  1. Be classified as a resident of California, according to the Hartnell College’s Admissions & Records Office.
  2. Meet income criteria by:
    • Providing proof that you are receiving monthly cash assistance from TANF/CalWORKs, SSI/SSP or General Assistance (or, if a dependent student, your parent(s) receive this assistance)
    • Establishing that your 2012 income (or your parent's income, if you are a dependent student) was within set income standards for a 2013-2014 BOGW
    • Completing a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at Hartnell and have remaining "financial need"
    • Being a Congressional Medal of Honor recipient (or dependent), being a dependent of a victim of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack, or having certification from the California Department of Veteran Affairs or the National Guard Adjutant General that you are eligible for this waiver. Also, being a dependent of a deceased law enforcement/fire suppression personnel killed in the line of duty.
  3. Download one of the following BOGW Fee Waiver Applications in PDF format and submit it to the Financial Aid Office.