Hartnell College Campus - Past, Present and Future (click any year to see the slideshow)
|1834 - William Edward Petty Hartnell founded a post secondary academy in the Gabilan foothills of the Salinas Valley.||1929 - A new wing opened and SJC produced its first 5 graduates.
1935 - Salinas Junior College had thirteen departments, as well as a school newspaper
1936 - The college moved to its present location at 411 Central Avenue in Salinas.
|1946 - The Agriculture and Mechanics program began.
1948 - Salinas Junior College was renamed Hartnell College.
1949 - The O. P. Silliman Library was dedicated.
1955 - The long awaited student union was completed and named the for John B. Lemos.
|1968 - The Technology Building was finished past schedule.
1973 - The Pool and the current Athletics building were completed.
1974 - The Performing Arts Center was completed.
|1987 - The Gleason Center was dedicated in King City.
1998 - A new Human Resources building opened it's doors!
2002 - The King City Education Center opened to serve the South County population.
|1920 - The Board of Trustees of the Salinas Union High School District founded Salinas Junior College, the school closed 2 years later.
1926 - The students and community pressured the Board of Trustees to dedicate resources to re-opening Salinas Junior College.
|1939 - The Men's Gymnasium was added, part of a $28,000 addition of facilities and grounds improvements.
1940 - The class of 1940 gave the college with the 16-ton Black Granite Panther sculpted by Raymond Puccinelli, can you guess the Panther's name?
|1959 - The New Library was completed.
1961 - The Men's dormitory (now Animal Health Technology) opened with Mrs. Maria Grinder as House Mother.
1963 - Merril Hall, the new Math and Science building and the Planetarium were completed.
|1976 - The Visual Arts Center and the Classroom Administration Building were constructed.
1978 - The Child's Development Center was completed.
1982 - The New College Center was constructed.
|2002 - Measure H passed allowing renovations and construction of a future Library!
2004 Ground Breaking Ceremony for the new Library & Parking Structure