The Hartnell Community College District is soliciting applications to serve as an appointed member of the Board of Trustees until the next regularly scheduled election for governing board members, which is in November of 2009.
This appointment is due to an impending vacancy in District 5. A map of District 5, which includes Central Salinas and surrounding areas, may be found on the board’s website.
The Board is responsible for the performance of Hartnell College, which serves 10,000 students annually and provides vital educational services to all the communities in the region.
The board is seeking candidates who have the ability and time to fulfill the responsibilities of being a member of the board, which include:
• Participating fully in the work of the board, including attending all meetings and some college events, studying issues and agenda items, and participating in trustee education programs.
• Being knowledgeable about the communities served by the college and willing to act on behalf of and for the benefit of those communities.
• Being committed to community colleges, their missions, and their students’ learning; understanding educational, social, and economic policy issues.
• Engaging in balancing the needs of many diverse groups; being able to contribute to and build consensus.
• Participating as one member of a board and supporting the authority of the board as a whole.
The Board of Trustees meets the first Tuesday of each month at 5 p.m.
Please contact the Office of the Superintendent/President Dr. Phoebe K. Helm to indicate an interest or suggest possible candidates for the position. Further information and application materials are available from the Superintendent’s Office at 411 Central Avenue in Salinas, 831-755-6900, or from the college’s website at www.hartnell.edu/board.
Applications, including a completed application form, completed application questionnaire, and a letter of interest, are due in the Superintendent/President’s Office no later than Friday, July 25, at 4 p.m. The board will interview candidates at its regularly scheduled meeting on August 5 and make the provisional appointment soon thereafter.