> Home > Shared_governance > Committees > Resources > Minutes_view

Resource and Allocation Committee

Print View Resource and Allocation Committee Minutes
Hartnell College, 411 Central Avenue, CAB-112, Salinas, CA 93901
October 10, 2012 at 3:00PM
I.Chair(s)

Willard Lewallen, Co-Chair
Ann Wright, Co-Chair

** APPROVED MINUTES **
II.Attendee(s)

Tony Anderson, Academic Senate
Dale W. Fuge, L39
Joanne Trevino, Classified Senate

III.Guest(s)

Sharon Alheit, Grants Management
Paul Casey, Student Affairs
Stephanie Low, Academic Affairs
Al Muñoz, Administration / FIS
Joseph Reyes, Maintenance
Melissa Stave, PE
Dan Teresa, PE



IV.Supporter(s)

Laura Warren
V.Adjournment

4:50 pm

Agenda #1

Topic:Approval of agenda
Presenter:Ann Wright
Summary of Agenda Item:After allowing time for the attendees to review the agenda, Ann moved for approval of the agenda.

Dr. Lewallen requested that under New Business, 16 week Calendar and Shared Governance Planning Retreat topics be added.

With the two referenced additions made, Ann again asked for further additions or changes. All were in favor of approving the revised agenda.
Action(s) required:n/a
Responsibilites:n/a
Deadline(s):n/a

Agenda #2

Topic:Unfinished Business -- 1. Not printing the schedule of classes
Presenter:Willard Lewallen
Summary of Agenda Item:Dr. Lewallen reminded everyone that in July when the RAC discussed ways by which to cut the budget, the group did not come to any specific conclusions yet areas where savings could be realized were identified. One of the areas was not printing a schedule of classes.

Discussion followed. Tony Anderson then moved that the college try a semester of not printing the schedule. Dale Fuge seconded said motion. More discussion followed. Ann Wright then called for a vote to not print class schedule in the spring. All in favor; none opposed; no abstentions. The motion carried.
Action(s) required:Action: RAC voted to approve not printing a class schedule for the spring semester.

Follow up items:
Emails will go out to all students notifying them of this decision.
A postcard will also be mailed to students.
Responsibilites:
Deadline(s):

Agenda #3

Topic:Unfinished Business -- 2. Follow up on Fund 41 purchases
Presenter:Ann Wright
Summary of Agenda Item:A progress report was made available to all RAC members. Al Muñoz reviewed each item on the list with the committee. Discussion ensued and, in the interest of time, Dr. Lewallen asked that items in question be sorted out and brought back to the next meeting.
Action(s) required:No action taken.
Responsibilites:
Deadline(s):

Agenda #4

Topic:Unfinished Business -- 3.(a) Follow up on Flex Day; (b) Repopulation of shared governance committees
Presenter:Ann Wright
Summary of Agenda Item:(a) Ann asked what kind of response there was at flex day related to shared governance. Tony stated that three committees have reported back they are now repopulated; he believes this topic was a success. Al stated that he received a number of requests from people interested in serving on the FIS and, currently, the FIS is waiting to hear who will be appointed.

(b) Dr. Lewallen stated that Monday, 11/19 is scheduled for a Shared Governance Planning Retreat. The idea behind this is to bring a group together to do two things: (1) Assess the current structure that exists; and (2) Make recommendations to restructure the current model.

The retreat is envisioned to encompass one full day. For faculty who wish to participate, this provides enough notice to enable getting substitutes. Chairs and co-chairs of existing committees will be in attendance. Dr. Lewallen provided the group with a tentative participant list.

Ann asked about the availability of an agenda for the retreat. Dr. Lewallen stated that it will probably be available by the end of October. Additionally, he pointed out there will be work to do prior to the retreat, i.e., gathering of information through a survey. This will provide a launching point to enter into discussions.
Action(s) required:No action taken.
Responsibilites:
Deadline(s):

Agenda #5

Topic:Unfinished Business -- 4. Follow up on management hiring decisions
Presenter:Willard Lewallen
Summary of Agenda Item:Director of IT position has not yet been advertised; the job description requires finalization.

Dean of Institutional Planning and Effectiveness will be filled on an interim basis beginning in November through June 2013.
Action(s) required:n/a
Responsibilites:n/a
Deadline(s):n/a

Agenda #6

Topic:Unfinished Business -- 5. Progress report on moving offices and facilities
Presenter:Willard Lewallen
Summary of Agenda Item:Dr. Lewallen began by stating that the first step in the process is getting everyone out of the Annex so the building can be demolished in order to construct the science building. Workspace for the operations currently contained in the Annex will need to be located but that component is very close to finalization. The other piece is the remodel of the bottom floor of CAB north. Dr. Lewallen asked Joseph Reyes to speak about the projects. Joseph stated that the hope is to have everyone out by 12/22/12; the goal for CAB north is to gut the entire bottom floor over the winter break; and a design is currently being worked on which will go to the DSA during the first week of November. Joseph further stated that this process can take between three and six months. He expects the project will go out to bid in March or April and, if all goes according to the timeline, he's hopeful the move can take place by August 1.

Discussion followed regarding the possibility of not tearing down MER. Dr. Lewallen said the college is going to explore the options over the next several years.

Dr. Lewallen thanked Joseph for his report.
Action(s) required:n/a
Responsibilites:n/a
Deadline(s):n/a

Agenda #7

Topic:Unfinished Business -- 6. 16 week calendar
Presenter:Willard Lewallen
Summary of Agenda Item:Dr. Lewallen stated he would like to put together a task force to weigh in on what the ramifications of a 16 week calendar could be as it relates to individual areas. Dr. Lewallen provided a handout listing tentative task force participants. Discussion followed related to who will be serving on said task force.

Ann then asked for a vote on forming the task force. All voting members were in favor of the formation.

Ann asked if Dr. Lewallen would be chairing the task force; he responded that he would serve on the task force but would probably not be the chair. Tony stated his desire to chair the task force if no one else is interested.

Action(s) required:Action: RAC voted to form a task force related to a 16 week calendar.

Follow up item:

Presidents of committees should get together prior to the next RAC meeting to appoint task force participants to investigate the viability of the 16 week calendar.

Responsibilites:Committee presidents or chairs/co-chairs
Deadline(s):11/14/2012

Agenda #8

Topic:New Business -- 1. PE equipment request proposal
Presenter:Dan Teresa
Summary of Agenda Item:Dan stated that PE has been working with two companies to investigate whether leasing is more cost effective than buying new gym equipment. Discussion followed related to the pros and cons of buying and leasing.

Tony brought forth a motion that RAC approve PE's request for new equipment to be leased under the most favorable terms. Dale seconded. Ann asked for further discussion. All in favor; none opposed; no abstentions.

Action(s) required:RAC unanimously voted to approve PE's request to lease new equipment for the gym.
Responsibilites:PE
Deadline(s):Beginning of spring semester

Agenda #9

Topic:New Business -- 2. IT vehicle purchase request
Presenter:Al Muñoz
Summary of Agenda Item:Al explained that IT has been interested in acquiring a "carryall" vehicle to transport equipment around campus to replace the handcart currently being used. The handcart does not provide protection to the equipment and this method of transportation is not efficient. IT has been looking into purchasing a used vehicle for approximately $9,000 that can be used not only for IT purposes but for other departments, as well. Further, Al stated that there are funds available in Fund 41 that are set aside for vehicles. Joseph added that the vehicle has already been retrofitted for an IT department's needs and the one being considered would be coming from Stanford.

Discussion ensued. Dr. Lewallen motioned that RAC approve the purchase of the club car (or carryall) using Fund 41 to pay for it. Ann asked for further discussion. All in favor; none opposed; no abstentions.
Action(s) required:RAC voted to approve the purchase of a carryall vehicle using funds from Fund 41.

Follow up item:
Joseph Reyes will coordinate purchase and delivery of the vehicle.
Responsibilites:Joseph Reyes
Deadline(s):ASAP

Agenda #10

Topic:New Business -- 3. Chevron energy initiative
Presenter:Willard Lewallen
Summary of Agenda Item:The Chevron energy initiative was on the board agenda recently and Dr. Lewallen wanted RAC to learn more about it. He said that no commitment has been made at this time although Chevron has made a proposal. The idea is for the Alisal campus to install solar. Currently, about $200,000 is paid annually to PG&E and the initiative would free up about 95% of this cost. Dr. Lewallen stated that the challenging piece is that it has to be constructed and that cost could be approximately $2.5 million. Any savings realized could go towards the cost of the construction, however. Joseph pointed out the potential savings over 25 year is close to $6 million and the funds saved would be unrestricted. Additionally, Joseph stated the climate in Salinas is ideal for this solar project.

Tony asked if the students would have an opportunity to learn about this technology and Dr. Lewallen said there is an educational component to it. He stressed that it is still in an exploration phase.
Action(s) required:No action taken.
Responsibilites:n/a
Deadline(s):n/a

Agenda #11

Topic:New Business -- 4. AP5550
Presenter:Ann Wright
Summary of Agenda Item:A progress report was made available to all RAC members. Al Muñoz reviewed each item on the list with the committee. Discussion ensued and, in the interest of time, Dr. Lewallen asked that items in question be sorted out and brought back to the next meeting.
Action(s) required:No action taken.
Responsibilites:n/a
Deadline(s):n/a

Agenda #12

Topic:Next meeting
Presenter:Ann Wright
Summary of Agenda Item:Further discussion related to the budget will be on the next meeting's agenda. Al told the committee that he will be presenting a budget update to the Board on a monthly basis.
Action(s) required:
Responsibilites:
Deadline(s):