> Home > Student Services > Trio > Frequently Asked Questions

TRiO Program Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ'S)

How can I get books?
Any current TRiO student who follows the Responsibility Contract can use the Lending Library Fall and Spring semesters.

Do I need to enroll in TRiO every semester?
You do not need to enroll in TRiO each semester. As long as you follow the Responsibility Contract every semester, you will continue to receive services. Complete the FAFSA for each school year.

Do I need to attend an Orientation?
To receive services, you must complete an TRiO orientation. Anyone can attend an TRiO orientation, even before being accepted into the program. Orientations are offered before every semester (Fall and Spring). Check with the TRiO office for upcoming Orientation dates and times.

For how long can I be an TRiO student?
Students qualify for TRiO services until they complete 70 degree applicable units or participate six consecutive semesters in the program (whichever comes first). Students with high unit majors can continue in the program with more units completed: RN=128.25; Engineering Technology=108; and Engineering=98.

Can I still receive TRiO services if I am not a Financial Aid student?
You need to have a completed file with Financial Aid or be eligible to receive the BOGW (Board of Governor’s Fee Waiver) to participate in TRiO. Visit or call the office for more details.

Does an TRiO student need to enroll in 12 units each semester?
You need to be a full time student in the first semester. After the first semester, there is some flexibility in the unit requirement. DSPS students have a lower unit requirement.

Do I qualify for TRiO if I’ve already been attending Hartnell?
You can qualify and participate in TRiO at any time while you are a student at Hartnell, as long as you meet the requirements listed above.

Are there any exceptions to the eligibility and requirements?
You must speak with your TRiO director and explain the circumstances to decide if you are eligible for continued TRiO services.

Why do I need to submit a Progress Report every semester?
Mid Term Progress reports are a useful tool for students. They allow students to check their progress in each class. If a student shows below satisfactory progress (D or F grade), they will meet with a counselor to review any issues affecting their academic performance.    

Why do I need to complete an Educational Plan?
An educational plan is an outline of a student’s course of study, which leads to completing school. Once you understand the requirements for your educational goal(s), then you can make the best of your time as a student. Education plans also connect with career planning, which counselors are available to assist students in exploring.